Thursday, February 13, 2014

Grayson's First Trip to Urgent Care

We have officially had our first scary sickness with our baby boy. The last few days he has had the crud. Runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and a low grade fever. I was trying to just let it run its course but then last night after the girls were in bed his Daddy was holding him and he started wheezing. We decided to call the on call nurse at our pediatrics office and talk to her. Her advice was to take him in right away because of concern for the flu. We loaded up and took him to a new pediatric urgent care right down the street. We arrived at 9 pm and just had the best experience. They tested him for the flu and rsv. The RSV test came back positive. Since this is a viral illness there is nothing that can be done other than fluids, suction, and rest. They did use a machine that I've never seen to suck him out and get all the crud loose that's been choking him up. It was a crazy contraption that made a very loud rumbling sound, and he screamed the entire time. After they were finished, he turned white as a ghost and they rushed him to the room where the pulse ox test was to check his oxygen level. All was fine, but he sure gave me a scare. We got back home and although I've been doing well putting him in his room, I put his bassinet right next to me for the night. He gets so choked up on his drainage that he starts gagging and gives us a heart attack!




As soon as we got him settled and back to sleep Emmie woke up crying. We quickly discovered that she had vomited in her bed and all over herself. After a quick bath and bed change we had her back down in about 30 minutes. The rest of the night was a pattern of up...down..up...down with all three kiddos. I felt a little like a jack in the box by morning. Addie complained of a headache in the night but seemed totally fine this morning so off to school she went for her Valentines Day Party looking so sassy and cute.







Emmie has been in pretty good spirits as long as she has ibuprofen in her. Sweet little girl...




I kept Emmie home with us and Daddy stayed home until lunch time to help out which was wonderful! My friend Lindsey has a little girl in Addie's class and she agreed to pretend to be her mommy for the party which was so sweet. She sent these pictures from school.












Another friend picked up Addie from school and took her home with her to play for the afternoon. Times like these remind me of how blessed I am that my kids are overall pretty healthy. I am also humbled at a God who is so good and sends helpers to me during these times to help us get through the day. My friend Gina just called to say she's bringing dinner tonight! Wow.

I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of Heaven and Earth. Psalm 121:1




1 comment:

Alyson Steiner said...

So sorry they're sick! I'm praying that they'll all be 100% soon, and that Addie stays healthy too! Love you, Harmons!