Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dabbling in Paleo

This post is more for me than anyone else. I just wanted to document a little experiment I've recently been doing. Three weeks ago I decided to try eating paleo for one month to see how it made me feel. (and also to hopefully lose some baby weight!) My friend Kelly had already been doing it for a month and felt great! My friend Hillary had also done something similar and gave me lots of tips. I basically have eliminated gluten, wheat, dairy, & most processed foods. Kelly describes it as a caveman's diet: fresh produce, lean meats, nuts, seeds. No genetically altered foods either. After three weeks, a few highs, a few lows, and the verdict is in....I have never felt better! I love it. We are all eating more fresh food -- fruits and veggies especially--than ever before! I have had a couple of cheat meals but have stuck to it for the most part! I have lost some weight but more importantly I feel really good! Kelly and I take pictures of our meals to send each other for inspiration so I have a bunch of food photos. As a part of my journey I thought I would document some of the yummy things I've made.... See below. It's fun to see how colorful I can make our plates and how creative I can be in coming up with new ideas. I'm hoping we can continue to eat this way long term with occasional cheats in moderation. Brandon is so supportive in doing whatever I do, and he is loving it too! Hoping to get some exercise routine going soon too! (Brandon already has that part down!)

Some foods I've made...

Common lunch sampler...



Meatloaf, roasted sweet potatoes, & broccoli



Slow cooked pulled pork with sweet potato fries, bananas, & tomato/cucumber salad



Chef salad



Salsa chicken, sweet potato chips, and homemade guacamole



Roasted chicken, green beans, & fresh sweet peppers with jalapeño/cilantro hummus



Turkey ice burgers with grilled pineapple and sweet potato chips



Spinach and mushroom frittatas



Tomato, cucumber & avocado salad



Hamburger patties with fresh tomato and avocado



Tortilla Crusted chipotle Tilapia with sauteed zucchini and squash and fruit salad



Braised beef short ribs with scalloped roasted sweet potatoes and green beans



Almond crusted stuffed chicken breasts



Taco Salad



Yummy!!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

We've been "dabbling in Paleo" as well! Funny, I even have a Pinterest board titled that! My sister started eating Paleo back in Feb this year and has lost around 30 pounds!! It's incredible how eliminating carbs and processed foods can make you feel so much better! Good luck on your journey!

Carrie said...

Okay, that food all looks so yummy!!!! You make me want to try the diet just by posting those pictures :)

Alyson said...

That all looks so delicious!! I'm thinking I'm going to have to learn a bit more and try this! You inspire me friend!!