Thursday, April 19, 2012

Emerson’s First Sick Dr. Visit/Belated 3 Month Post

My sweet baby girl has had a tough 24 hours!  Yesterday we went to MOPS and she attended the nursery (for her 3rd time) for a portion of our time there.  She did great!  The ladies just love her to pieces and always comment on how happy and calm she is.  When we got home, she nursed and then went down for nap.  She slept for over 3 hours!  I thought this was just because she was tired from MOPS that morning.  When I woke her up at 4:30 p.m., she was not interested in eating and seemed really grumpy!  After forcing her to eat, she threw up everywhere, all over both of us.  Then I realized she was running fever.  Of course by this time our dr was already closed for the day. Addie and I bathed her to clean her up and try to cool her warm body.  (Addie was by the way, so precious with her, saying, “It’s ok baby, shhhh, shhhh, it’s ok….” )  I tried to give her Tylenol, which she threw right back up.  When her fever hit 101.5, we headed to our local pediatric after hours office. I just felt so uneasy about her still being so little with a fever.  Addie and Brandon stayed home and I took her alone.  We had to wait a little while, but once we got back there, the dr and nurses were wonderful.  They were very concerned that she could have a bacterial infection since she had fever and vomiting with pretty much no other symptoms.  So, the full run of testing began.  My poor little sweetie was poked and prodded and messed with so much!  They started with a  catheterization to collect a urine sample in case she had a UTI.  That came back negative, so then they did a flu test by rubbing a swab deep in her nose.  That was negative, so they did a strep test, swabbing her throat, which made her throw up again.  That was negative.  So they decided to do a blood draw to test her blood cell counts.  The first toe they pricked didn’t bleed enough, (grrrrr) so they had to prick her other big toe and were finally able to get enough blood.  By this time, her fever was rising even more, so they felt they should give her some Tylenol.  I warned them, but of course, it came rushing back up and she threw up AGAIN all over herself. (and me too!) So, then they wanted to give her a Fever All suppository.  Poor little girl had had enough!  But, fortunately that worked and started to temper down her fever a little.  The blood cell count came back normal, indicating that her white blood cell count was low enough that there was no concern for a bacterial infection (Praise the Lord).  So, by process of elimination it was determined that she just had a viral bug that would have to take it’s course.  We came home and she had a pretty tough night and day today, but around 4 pm she started to perk back up.  I could tell she was starting to feel better as I put her to bed tonight.  What an experience for a first time sick dr. visit, huh!?  Bless her little heart, she was so sad.  I have never heard her cry like she cried through all of that testing last night.   So thankful she’s feeling better and I sure hope we don’t have to go through that again any time soon! 

Here are a few pictures of her from last night and today. :(

DSC08060DSC08062DSC08058IMG_3983[1]

 

I typed up the following about a week ago but with the big sister’s birthday craziness, it never got posted.

Dear Emmie,
You have been three months old for a couple of weeks already, but I just haven't gotten around to documenting your changes! You are the sweetest baby ever! You are so laid back and you very rarely cry! You are soooo happy (as one can see in the photos below!) You are still not a fan of the bottle...but you are rockin in other areas! Like sleep! You are now sleeping 7:30-7:30! I miss you so much at night...especially at that 10 pm dream feed! I loved that time with you. Some think I have crazy attachment issues with you, but I quickly defend myself saying that I know from Addie how fast this time goes, so I just want to soak up every moment I can with you. You absolutely MELT my heart with your smile, your cooing, and your attempt at a giggle. We think you are already ticklish! You squirm and smile when Daddy tickles you. I snuggle and rock you every chance I get and so does your Daddy. You just started using the jumparoo, you still aren't really sure. During tummy time you love to flip to your back. You love to suck on your hands and when you find your thumb you are a happy camper.  Mommy loves to put you in Addie’s clothes from when she was a baby and enjoy them all over again! You are just such a ray of sunshine to our family!! Making you smile is our new favorite thing to do.  We love you sweet girl.
Always n forever,
Your hopelessly devoted momma

IMG_3634[1]IMG_3961[1]IMG_3928[1]IMG_3873[1]IMG_3766[1]

And here are a few pics of Emmie’s first Easter!

The girls wore pink smocked dresses to church….they were so sweet! I love the innocence of little smocked dresses.  I want to keep them little forever!
(Emerson wore one of Addie’s dresses that Carol bought her as a baby!)

DSC08049DSC08050

Thank you to our sweet friend Donna for making the girls these matching Easter bunny shirts to wear to our family gathering on Easter!

DSC08057

We love you Emmie C! :) I know you’re closer to 4 months old than 3 months now, but better late than never! :)

6 comments:

Amy Mahrer said...

SOOO glad she's doing better. You can tell how awful she was feeling just by comparing the sick pictures with her bright and happy 3 month pics! No more scares Miss Emmie Lou! We love you!

Nicole Rodriguez said...

Poor Girl! I'm sorry she was so sick :( So glad she's feeling better!!!

Amanda said...

Those not feeling so good pictures broke my heart! It's awful when our babies are sick and we can't fix it! So happy she is feeling better! Her pictures are all so sweet and I love the Easter pics of the girls, they are adorable!

Teresa said...

Sorry to see you had such a rough time! I always hate when the girls are sick, but when they are young it makes me so much more nervous!

Emmie is a doll! So precious.

Must get the girlies together to play this summer!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness, those pictures of Emmie sick just break my heart :( I am so glad she is feeling better!

Amy Mahrer said...

Ummm, someone needs a new blogpost!!!