Friday, November 12, 2010

Phases and Stages…

First of all, let me just say that this little face….

DSC03253

brings me more joy than I ever thought humanly possible.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being her momma and spending my days with her.  She never fails to turn a bad day around for me with a simple “Hi!” or a kiss or a hug for no apparent reason.  I also love that the trash truck makes her giggle beyond measure and that, too reminds me to stop and smell the roses.

However, as a first time mom, I am thinking the phase we are in right now – approximately 19 months – is one of the most frustrating times I have seen with her and it was not something I was expecting!  Here is why:  She is still a baby in so many ways, but she is a toddler in so many ways.  She understands how to do the right thing and how to do the wrong thing, but she doesn’t always understand the logic behind the discipline.  It’s impossible to reason with a 19 month old, especially when her safety is at risk.  When I tell her it is not ok to stand on the coffee table, she thinks I am so mean – but I want her to understand that I am just trying to protect her from falling. I realize that the day will come when she understands this, and STILL thinks I am so mean…but at least in my heart I will know that she understands.   Anyway, she is trying us more and more but we are sticking to our toddler curriculum, and constantly aiming to “begin as we mean to go,” however, some days it is just a little more trying than other days.  It sure is a good thing she is so darn cute, isn’t it?

DSC03280

So tell me, all of you experienced moms out there in blogland:

whether your baby is 15 days old or 15 years old, what phase or stage are you facing right now?  I know I can’t be alone!  Let’s encourage one another!  Email me at harmon0323@yahoo.com or leave a comment here so others can see too!

Loads of love,

Addie’s BLESSED Momma

6 comments:

Nicole Rodriguez said...

Girl every stage is another obstacle! Aidan is 11 now and the pre-teens are so not fun :( He thinks he has too many people to impress and apparently I am not one of them! Ha! His mouth...Girl his mouth!!! GRR!!! And Ryan is 3 1/2 and he is really a lot of fun and learning so much still everyday, but he has a temper and still thinks everything must go his way. If I remember that starts getting better after they turn 4 :)...hopefully... And Cole just turned one, so you know where we are with him :)

Katie Hale said...

Ally is 16 months old and like you said is still so much a baby but a toddler as well. We are easing into things like time out and she knows what she's not supposed to do because she will look at me before pulling on the blinds and shake her head no but does it just to test me. She also bursts into tears everytime I sternly tell her no. It does help that they are so cute. What books/methods are you using for your toddler curriculum?

Lindsay said...

Oh girl! Logan is in the very midst of his Terrible Twos!! He is almost exactly 2.5, and is more difficult at times than I ever imagined a toddler could be. His stubbornness causes the most conflict in our household. He will outright refuse to do things, and then his behavior just escalates from there into an all out screaming tantrum. Ha, am I being too brutally honest!? We have had a "Time Out" chair in use for a few months now, but it's effectiveness is questionable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often times he just sits in it and bangs it against the wall to make things worse! :) Anyway, you are not alone in your struggle to help your child learn the rights from wrongs, and the bumps along the road make us stronger parents. I just wish this stage would end like RIGHT NOW! I agree, it's a good thing our kids are so darn cute!

Love you, we'll make it!

P.S. LOVE LOVE LOVE your new blog look!!!

Aubrey and Jen said...

We, like Lindsay, are in the terrible 2's! He is stalling SO bad at bedtime, hoarding toys & throwing everything!:) But he's learning so much, singing all the time & saying new sentences almost everyday - it's amazing! I always pray for God's wisdom in every parenting decision! Even in what advice to listen to or books to read! I know he is guiding me & that alone gives me peace & assurance that my boys will turn out a-ok!:-)

p.s. Jett is walking & into everything but oh so cute!:-)

Brunson Family said...

We are at a very difficult stage too. Bryson just turned four and is testing the limits of everything. Macie is almost two and we are working on our listening skills :) It's difficult having two and trying to balance your time between them. When Bryson was Macie's age it was so different because I just had him to worry about (I must say boys are SO much different than girls). Now that Macie is getting older I find myself still thinking she is little and she gets away with way more than he ever did at her age. Macie is in the NO phase, meaning she tells me NO all the time and intentionally is disobedient. Very difficult. Isn't it funny when you step back and think of how we are with God, just like the toddler who wants her way and the whole time God the father is sitting there shaking his head saying, I know what's best for you! Praying for you and your stage, every stage and phase has it's challenges and it's our job to rejoice in all circumstances! I'm reminding myself of this as I type it :)

Brunson Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.