Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Consider it pure joy....

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

So, sometimes I think I only post stuff on here that is happy and rosy and wonderful! Well, life is not always rosy, you know!? As James said in the verse above, sometimes we face trials...trials of many kinds. Some are big and some are small. Looking back on yesterday, I can see that it was a SMALL trial, but a trial none-the-less. And since this is, after all, a documentation of Addie's babyhood, I feel obligated to document what happened on our first day of Mother's Day Out. I typed up the following email last night to send to a friend, so I am editing it a little and pasting it in this blog post. I know some day we will look back and laugh at this little story, but yesterday it was a pretty rough day!

I did take some cute pictures of Addie on her first day that I will post later. For now, an account of our DAY 1: New Adventure.

Well, we started out running really late...which was just not a very good way to kick off our year. Just combine the torrential downpours, crazy traffic, the fact that Addie had a blow out before we left in her first day outfit, and I just plain didn't leave myself enough time, we were about 20 minutes late. ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. I missed the devotional meeting time, {which is mandatory...} she didn't get to finish her milk, they wouldn't let her take her milk into the class, AND I had about 2 min. to pull myself together before 10 4 year olds came bouncing through the door. Ok so back up to when we arrived, my director met me at the door and I was sobbing, standing in the rain, locked out, with my baby on one hip, her nap mat, backpack, my bag, my purse, my lunch on the other arm, trying to hold up my umbrella. She was really great, but I felt like such an idiot. As for our day...Addie did great and had lots of fun. Also...my kids are precious and we had a good day, but let's just say that going from 9 year olds to 4 year olds is a CRAZY change. I felt like i was herding WORMS all day! Then, at the end of the day, Addie was the last one in her class when I got there and I could tell she was really sad, like, "Mom? Did you forget me?" (This part still makes me cry a little) It was like a feeling of abandonment that I cannot prevent...b/c I am a teacher there, I will always have to wait for all of my kids to be picked up before I can get her, so she will always have to watch everyone else's mommies come before hers. They SAID she slept great but her daily sheet said she didn't sleep at all, so I tried to lay her down for a few minutes when we got home, only to make her good and mad...then I hear her cry so hard that I started to run up the stairs {can you say my baby = pure exhaustion} she made herself throw up all over herself, her bedding, bedskirt, everything! My sweet hubby brought home italian food take out for dinner to make me feel a little better, but I was just really bummed all evening. I KNOW we will get in a routine, and it will all be ok, but last night it felt really frustrating and not easy. I hate for it to sound like I am complaining, because I am SO grateful for being able to stay home and do this MDO, it's just that our first day was rough. Thankfully I had today to recuperate and I have a list of things I am going to do differently on Thursday. (including the purchase earlier today of one of those rolling crates! LOL!)

That's it folks. Day 1 of OUR New Adventure = not so hot. I completely underestimated the challenges that were ahead of me. Maybe a blessing in disguise? I wasn't worried at all, hmph!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so sorry you had such a rough first day! I know it will get better with time once you get the routine thing down! I'll be thinking of you and hoping for better days to come, LOVE you both =)

Brunson Family said...

I know it will get better, we all have those days. Yours just happened to be the first day of school! You will love teaching, Addie will make great friends and learn so much!

Chani said...

Can I just send a big hug your way and tell you how much I love you? I'm praying for you, sweet friend. There is always a bump in the road, but you're better than amazing at all you do, and things will be fabulous in no time. I'm always and forever here if you need to vent, talk, or cry! (or laugh, of course!) Miss you more than words can say... :)

Ashley Warren said...

I hope you had a better Thursday! Sending prayers your way.

Carrie said...

Oh girl! We had a crazy first day too,, I totally felt for you when I was reading this post! I am glad your Thursday was better. Ours was much better too! Addie is SO DARN CUTE!!!! Thanks for sharing your blog with me, I am excited to follow it!

Carrie said...

Oh girl! We had a crazy first day too,, I totally felt for you when I was reading this post! I am glad your Thursday was better. Ours was much better too! Addie is SO DARN CUTE!!!! Thanks for sharing your blog with me, I am excited to follow it!