Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Journeys

What a week I have had! There is so much to blog about, it over whelms me to think of where to start. So much to reflect upon! I once received an email about “What teachers make.” What do teachers make?

We make kids wonder.
We make them question.
We make them apologize and mean it.
We make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
We teach them to write and then we make them write.
We make them read, read, read.
We make them show all their work in math. They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator.
We make our students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
We make our classroom a place where students feel safe.
We make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work
hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

I have truly enjoyed my journey over the last 10 years in the classroom. I have so many wonderful memories…challenging at times, yet most always rewarding. I have had great experiences at great schools with great people. If you had asked me a few years ago if I’d ever choose to be a stay at home mom, I would have said, “NO WAY!” I just loved teaching that much. This little picture is my class this year at field day. Field day was tough this year because of a situation that occurred. But right after that situation was over, we took this picture. I am reminded looking at these little faces that at the end of the day, they are all that matter….not the endless paperwork, grading, parents, or the rest…it’s them. It’s all for them. I pray that after their time in my classroom, they truly know that if they use the gifts they are given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

Field_Day_004[1]

Friday I said good bye to third grade for the time-being. It was sad, but happy at the same time because of what’s to come.

Moving on to Saturday….

Saturday we moved my teaching belongings home to store in my attic. Right before we put it all away, I took this picture. This is about 1/3 of the amount I moved into my current school. I have tried really hard to slim down my belongings to save my poor husband’s back. I am pretty proud of myself! So good bye to my beloved teaching materials that I have spent countless dollars on (for now….)

IMG_0276

Then on Saturday afternoon came a really difficult part. Telling the people I love working with goodbye!

I once heard that if you have two out of three things you will be happy in your job. The three things are:

1. You like the job you do

2. You like your boss

3. You like the people you work directly with

#3 is HUGE for me! It can make or break your entire work experience! I have been BLESSED BEYOND BELIEF with the best team the last two years!!!! Chani, Lynsey and Tonya have been a dream to work with! I have also been blessed with great friends in other grade levels and departments, to name a few...Amy, Ashley, Sharon, Amanda, Tari, Brooke, Allison, Lauren, Julie, Katie, Ceseley, and Deena. There are many more wonderful people...this list could go on and on.

I will miss my team so much!! We have laughed together, cried together, chatted together, celebrated together, and comforted each other.I love them all and have enjoyed being on such an AWESOME team!

Tonya

DSC01404

Chani

DSC01432

Lynsey

DSC01405

Leaving these three ladies was really hard! I love them all so much! When it was time to leave, they all reminded me…through my tears, of all the things I wouldn’t miss in teaching, (like the situation at field day! ha!) and then Addie walked through the door with her daddy to come pick me up and she made us all giggle. She’s such a silly girl! She can always make me smile when I am down.

DSC01530

Then Monday was just plain SAD!!!

We had to tell THE BEST BABYSITTER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD good bye! Ms. Courtney, we love, love, love you.

IMG_0268

We gave Courtney a card and wrote inside:

Courtney,

Thank you…

For watching over Addie while we couldn’t be there
For picking her up & holding her close when she would fall down.
For saving her poop (seriously!! she did this for a dr. appt. for me) and changing a million diapers
For instilling in Addie the loving, Godly character traits that are so important to us.
Thank you for praising her accomplishments and for disciplining her when she needed it.
For making her lunch and preparing her milk
Thank you…
For watching her so that we could go to the jobs we love.
For keeping her so happy she didn’t want to leave
For being God’s gift to our family this year.

THANK YOU For loving our girl as if she were your own.

Because of you, we have been able to go off to work and feel at peace and secure knowing that you were caring for my precious baby.

Thank you for being there for us,
Brandon and Michelle and Addiecakes

We made her this special frame as a keepsake..

DSC01523

And all of those goodbyes made for one worn-out Mommy. I hate goodbyes! I really do! I know the future has so many happy times to look forward to, but my past is what has made me the person I am. And I promise to remember that my past is shaped by all of the wonderful people who have supported and blessed me in this journey. Reflecting on today as we wrapped up our first official day of being home together, I could not feel happier. I bathed Addie, and was having cuddle time with her. Brandon and I take turns putting her to bed. We like to talk to her at bed time and tell her about all of the people who love her, we pray with her, we tell her about what she did that day and what she’ll do tomorrow. Tonight was my turn and I was telling her about how it was the best day ever…talking about all the fun things we did today. Brandon came in, kneeled down and said,

“Addie, did you know your mommy left her job to stay home with you so you could have all of your days be just like today? She left a job she loved very much….you should know that.”

Then she grinned at him and gave me a big kiss on the lips. Some day I’ll tell her the story, but for now….she’s in peaceful dream land gearing up for day 2 with Mommy tomorrow.

DSC01520

Love to all! ~Michelle

6 comments:

Amy Mahrer said...

(as I wipe my tears)...I'm so glad your first day as a stay at home mommy was so great! Addie is one lucky little girl. But man I'll miss having her mommy at work!

erickson family said...

what a heartfelt, beautiful post, michelle! i am so excited for your new adventures. if you ever need a staff meeting-give me a call, i'll think of topics. if you miss carpool duty, you can come over and we'll direct strollers, if you miss lesson plans-i will let you plan henry and i's day out. :) and if you miss the kids, we'll just have more and more playdates. :)

hillarylaird said...

Tears!! So sweet! I just love the picture of Addie sleeping! Just TOO sweet! You are such a great teacher and will be VERY missed in the classroom, but you will be the BEST S.A.H.M.! I remember when we first talked about that acronym and that it would or could never be us! I know you will be so fulfilled at home and MDO! I can't wait to hear about all the great times you will have! Love you!

Ronni said...

What a sweet post! I know this was a difficult decision and I will be praying that the transistion is easy as pie!

Darling Daughters said...

School won't be the same without you next year!!! The kids will be missing out on the teacher they never had. I will miss you very, very much. Don't forget about me! Ava and Claire would love to have some playdates with you this summer. Let me know... :)

Chani said...

You are so sweet and so special to me! I miss you SO much ALREADY!!!! :) This is such an amazing post. How can anyone keep from crying while they're reading this? Big hugs, friend! :)