Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Girl After MY Own Heart....

So, we have a little daily routine around here. After I put Addie down, I like to put away her things on her shelf in the living room. It's kind of silly...kind of like making my bed...it just makes me feel sort of like, "together" to have my bed made and her toys put away. Even though I know the bed will be unmade again soon and all of this will be on the floor again soon.

So, you'll notice that I have some of her books inter-mixed with her toys that I periodically change out so that she is always seeing new books and so that I am reading her different titles as well. I believe in the power of reading 3 books a day aloud to her, based on some powerful research presented by Mem Fox in her book Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever. (I made that title a link in case you are interested in the book....) I am really cheesy and like to put out books for her to "browse" about the current season, current holidays, and such. Right now we have snow books, snowman books, winter books, and Valentine's Day books out.

So here's an "After Addie is asleep shot"
So, fast forward to the next day. I pick up my peanut and when we get home it is play time! Guess where Addie goes first?
Straight to her books! And she pulls
every...
single...
one ...
off ...
the ...
shelf...
and spreads them all out around her to pick which one she will read. Well, maybe not read,
maybe...
which...
one...
she...
will ...
chew ...
on.....

and then listen to Mommy read!



But still, her mama couldn't be more proud of this baby girl. As Dr. Seuss once said, "“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” My hope is that books are a B-I-G part of this l-i-t-t-l-e girl's life...and I would say that we are off to a really good start! :-)
~Michelle :-)

3 comments:

Amy Mahrer said...

How sweet!!! You're such a good mom changing out books with the seasons. I need to get with it! She's so lucky to have a mommy who loves her so much she does that kind of stuff. Her first grade teacher will be very happy one day!

The Soladay Family said...

I love mixing out the boys' books with the season! I am quite certain she'll love books just like her mama!

Amanda said...

OMG, I can't even keep up with all of your posts!!! I looove all your recents posts, I can't believe how big our little girls are getting! Addie is such a cutie and I loved all her fun V-day outfits and her pig tails are my favorite!