Sunday, November 22, 2009

MLIA???

So..... I have many former students that are my friends on Facebook. Some are even driving, as scary as that sounds! When you think that I have been teaching for 10 years and my first class was a group of second graders, it makes sense that they are 17/18 this year. That is crazy to me! So, I have noticed a new acronym that many of them use frequently on their FB posts. It is MLIA. Do you know what it means??? I didn't, so I asked. My precious Kelsie, who was a darling and sweet little girl, and has grown into a graceful, smart teenager, answered me promptly.

Her reply? "Mrs. Harmon, it means My Life is Average."

Hmmmm....that really made me think....is that what the typical American teenager thinks? That their life is AVERAGE? Just average? With all the cool technology they enjoy each day, more freedoms than teenagers of former generations experience? Does this have a hidden message? Maybe they want to go back? Back to more structure, more predictability? Or maybe it just means they wish they had a boyfriend or girlfriend? Ha ha. So, the point of this post, you may be wondering?

I have decided. My goal for my little girl's future favorite acronym is this:
mlIWBTa
Get it?
My Life is WAY BETTER THAN Average! Why? Because that is how Mommy feels. I find my joy in my God. I pray for contentment and joy each day, no matter my circumstances. I can admit that some days it is harder than others, but my ultimate prayer is that my baby girl grows up to feel the same way.


One of my favorite scriptures of all time says this:
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

SO, there you have it! MLIWBTA!!!!! Happy Sunday! After all of this deep thinking, enough for one morning! I am off to get ready for church! :-) ~M

4 comments:

Alyson said...

Love, love, love it!! My new acronym is mliFOJDMCC!!! (My life is full of joy despite my current circumstances!)

That verse is one of my favorites too! It was great to see you at church!

Love you, friend!

Chani said...

This just makes me giggle. When did we all get so "uncool" that we don't know the abbreviations for the phrases kids use?? Wow...see, even that makes me sound old!! :) I couldn't agree with your new acronym! What a positive outlook for Baby Addie's future! I hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving! I miss you!!!

Carol said...

I so love this post!!!

hillarylaird said...

So true! You are so sweet and such an amazing mommy!! Love you!