Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Injury!

Before I Start my story, I want to tell you all that I have decided to print this blog for Addie's baby book. It seems I do a better job of documenting her life on here than I have at writing in the book. So, I had to post this story of her first injury so it can go in her book! Love you all!

Let me start by PRAISING God for protecting Addie last night! She could have been badly hurt, and fortunately, it was just a bump! Last night Brandon was bringing her down the stairs and he slipped on the third to last step, losing his grip and falling down the rest of the way. I was in the kitchen cleaning up dinner and I heard the slip, and then I heard a terror in Brandon's voice that I have never heard before, as he said, "Help, Michelle!" I rounded the corner to find them down on the ceramic tile, but Addie was still safely cradled in his arms. He handed her to me and she started screaming crying. She continued to cry for about 2 minutes and was shaking so hard. I saw that Brandon had a huge gash that was bleeding in his elbow where he knocked the sharp part of the corner on the edge of our stairs. Addie had a bump in the side of her head, but no bleeding. It started to get puffy, but she seemed fine after just a few minutes. Brandon felt SO BAD! He just kept apologizing over and over...the whole scene made me cry...his love for her is just so incredible. I had to reassure him over and over that she was fine! We called our neighbor, Rhonda, who is a pediatric nurse. She wasn't home, but she told us to shine a flashlight in her eyes to check for pupil response. Everything was fine. She also told us to watch for lethargy, vomitting, runny nose, etc. Thank Heavens, nothing ever seemed abnormal the whole night. She also told us to keep her up for 2-3 hours and then once she went down to wake her every 3-4 hours and make eye contact with her to make sure she was responding. After we bathed her and Brandon rocked her for a much longer time than normal, we put her down. Then we called the dr. just to make sure we had done all the right things. (We TOTALLY trust Rhonda, but it just gave me peace of mind to call her doctor.) He basically repeated all of Rhonda's instructions, and also telling us to wake her throughout the night. He said with head trauma, you can never be too careful. So, we went to bed and set our alarm for every 3 hours to get up with her...It was so hard to wake her, but we were able to accomplish our goal. We got up together each time and tiptoed into her room to wake her. And.....She was fine! She has not acted any different, so things are good! PRAISE GOD! We just kept looking at his elbow, all scratched up and bleeding and thinking how lucky we were that this wasn't on her head.I told Addie how her Daddy saved her. Once again, my knight in shining armor protected our little princess from harm....amazing. Thank you God for keeping them both safe!

7 comments:

Amy Mahrer said...

that is my fear every time I walk down the stairs with Ben. Thank the Lord they are both okay.

Amanda said...

That is so scary, I am so glad they are both o.k.

Sharon said...

Goodness! How terrifying. I'm so glad that everything is ok. And I just read your earlier blog, too. I'll continue to pray for your transition back to work too.Love ya.

Chani said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this scariness! Brandon is such a good Daddy. You have all my prayers for everything!

Lindsay said...

Whew, glad everyone is ok!

Brunson Family said...

Thank God everyone is okay, I actually tripped and fell down 2 stairs with Macie at a friends house, somehow I cradled Macie & I landed on my elbow & hip & then the baby gate fell on my legs. Macie cried from the scare, but wasn't hurt. What a miracle! Thank God for protecting our babies!

Darling Daughters said...

That's scary! Glad everyone is okay!