Thursday, June 11, 2009

Just Like the Mailman...

So, last night we had some pretty bad storms in our area. I was preparing dinner for my friend Amy that I teach with. She just had a baby last week and I wanted to take them dinner. After having meals brought to us when Addison was born, I have come to realize just how BIG of a blessing it is to have a warm dinner brought to your doorstep during those first few weeks home. So, come whatever may, I was not about to cancel on them. I was determined (no matter what storm was a-comin,) to bring them spaghetti and meatballs! Just as I was getting ready to leave, it seemed to be getting really dark out. Addie was asleep and I told Brandon I was just going to run over, drop off the food, and I would be back to feed Addie. It was just about time for her to wake up from her nap. So off I went. I am not kidding, in the 2 minutes it took me to drive from our house to their house, I went from clear skies over head into what seemed like a black umbrella hovering over. As I passed by my school, the wind started to swirl and the rain started pelting my car. It was as if I was driving right into the eye of the storm! Just as I rounded the corner to her house, the sirens started sounding...YES, the tornado sirens!! I freaked out! I got to Amy's house, left the food in the car and ran for the door! As soon as she opened it I shouted, "we need to take cover! now!!!" So Amy, baby Ben, myself, and their two huge dogs headed into the master closet. Just about then, the power went out! Her husband was like, "I will go get the food!" I told him not to worry about it, but he went out there to get it, brave soul! Sirens blaring! Guess he was excited about dinner. So as soon as we got in the closet I called Brandon and said, "Get my baby and take cover!!" He didn't even know the sirens were going off. He was like, "ok Michelle, just chill out." Needless to say I was doing anything but chilling out. To wrap this up, I rode out the 10 min. intensity of the storm and then headed on home in the pouring rain. When I got home, the rain had pretty much stopped, and I came running in looking for the two loves of my life......and this is what I found:

There was my Knight in Shining armor, feeding my precious princess her bottle...in the safest spot in our home...our downstairs bathroom. How sweet is that? My favorite part of the story, when I told Hillary about what had happened she said, "Girl, when it comes to taking dinner to friends, you are like the MAILMAN!" Ha ha.

Thank you God for protecting our family during such a scary storm.

7 comments:

Amy Mahrer said...

Thank you for dinner! You are one brave soul!

Darling Daughters said...

haha! That was a great story! I was locked into a Target worrying about my own family at home the same night!

hillarylaird said...

Love the picture! What a good daddy!

Ronni said...

Love the story! We rode out the storm in the bathroom as well :)

Aubrey and Jen said...

LOVE IT! I bet you were scared to death but it looks like Miss Addie was in great hands & just fine!:-) We were in my hall closet w/ flash lights...which Grady thought was the coolest thing ever!

Lindsay said...

We were in the bath tub too! Isn't it funny that now that we have babies, everything takes on a whole new meaning, even storm sirens!? We would never have taken the mattress in the bathroom before Logan.... Now we have to protect at all costs.... No matter how silly we looked! :) Love the picture!

Sharon said...

You are too cute!